Get Started

There are lots of Cycle Races throughout the year run by several different organisations. Below you will find a brief guide to the main Cycling bodies and links for you to find out about their events and how to enter.

British Cycling

British Cycling are the governing body for most Road, Track and Cyclo Cross racing.
If you wish to participate in BC races you will need firstly to be a BC member and secondly hold a Racing Licence.

There are 3 levels of membership, Bronze, Silver and Gold. To hold a Racing Licence you need either Silver or Gold membership.


The CTT organise a large number of Time Trials throughout the UK. As Manchester Wheelers’ Club is affiliated to the CTT, no individual membership required.
There are 2 types of event – Club Events and Open Events.

Club Events
Our Club 10s are held on a Monday night, other clubs have similar events on other nights and courses. Turn up, sign on and ride the event. Entry is approximately £3.

Open Events
These need to be pre-entered, entry for these events closes at least 12 days before the event.

SpoCo NW

The SpoCo North West Time Trial league is a season-long competition to help encourage participation in, and the promotion of, Sporting Courses, in cycling time trials. The events are typically run over non-standard distances and across the varying geography and terrain of Manchester and surrounding districts.


The TLI organise open age Road Races.

The racing is a bit steadier than the BC races and usually run in 2 groups, under 50s and over 50s, however they are very flexible so if you wish to move up a group you can do.

Membership is required and costs £10 for the year or £4 for day license (free to under 18s).


The League of Veteran Racing Cyclists is run in the same way as the TLI but for over 40s.

Very similar to the TLI racing, you have to be a member (£20 per year); races are £10 to enter.