Author Topic: Research Project: How should mental guidance be given to cyclists?  (Read 5036 times)

Nick Green

• View Profile
Dear Manchester Wheelers,

My name is Dr Alister McCormick. I am a researcher at Plymouth Marjon University, originally from the Peak District (Chapel-en-le-Frith). I am contacting you about a piece of research that we are conducting into the mental aspects of road cycling, triathlon, and running.

We intend to use the findings to benefit road cyclists, such as members of Manchester Wheelers. The main aim of our research is to help people to find and use guidance on mental aspects of training (e.g., setting goals, getting motivated), preparing (e.g., getting "in the zone", dealing with nerves), and performing in events (e.g., pushing through exertion and pain, coping with problems), so that they perform better and have a more satisfying experience.

To help with the research, we are looking for people (age 18 and older) who participate either competitively or non-competitively in road cycling events (time trials, road races, or sportives), triathlons, or running events (5km and further, e.g., Parkruns, 10km runs, half-marathons) to complete a one-off, short survey.

If you could share this email with members of Manchester Wheelers (and other relevant contacts that you have), then it would be much appreciated. Help from road cyclists, triathletes, and runners is very important for the research, and will be used to help people to find and use guidance on mental parts of training, preparing, and performing.

I would be more than happy to answer any questions that you may have. Thank you for your time.

To complete the survey, please click on FILL OUT FORM at the bottom of this email. Alternatively, the URL is:

https://docs.google.com/a/marjon.ac.uk/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScgtn2Gx4nzPiBDtBjSUWgMKGvjkaKBMtKtI0FcoPEzOJyVgw/viewform?c=0&w=1

Best wishes,

Alister

Dr Alister McCormick CPsychol
BPS Chartered Sport and Exercise Psychologist
Faculty of Sport & Health Sciences
University of St Mark & St John
Derriford Road, Plymouth, PL6 8BH