Author Topic: Midweek Mountain Bike Madness Round 2  (Read 12540 times)

Charles D

• View Profile
Midweek Mountain Bike Madness Round 2
« on: May 01, 2017, 10:22:36 AM »
Dear all,
The Manchester Wheelers are hosting round 2 of the Midweek Mountain Bike Madness series again this year on June 8th at Kenworthy Woods (just across the Mersey from Chorlton Water Park).

This is a big event with well over  riders last year and I need lots of help to ensure its a success again this year. 

If you are free, please go to the link below and sign up for a role so I have a rough idea of who will be helping and when. Feel free to sign up for more than one role if you can! I'd be particularly grateful to anyone who can get down nice and early (2pm onwards) to help set things up.

Many thanks

Charles

https://goo.gl/forms/wgOedt8EUX1BjlhL2

Gavin McC-L

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Midweek Mountain Bike Madness Round 2
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 03:19:25 PM »
In case anyone missed it first time round - here are the original details Charles posted on the old forum.

The date for everyone's favourite club event has been confirmed as Thursday the 8th June. As per previous years, we will be hosting round 2 of the Midweek Mountain bike Madness series at Kenworthy Woods, Chorlton Water Park that has become one of the most popular events in the series, attracting 100+ riders.

For the last two years we have added a Go-Ride event for under 16's, which Scott Wilson is going to be organising again this year. This event is for Under 16's and is a great introduction to cycle sport. So if you know of any budding young bike riders, please let them know about the event. The key thing that we're trying to get across is that this will be a fun event and is for both complete novices and experienced young riders.

In order for this event to carry on being a success we do require a number of helpers for both the main race and the Go-Ride event. Obviously we understand that as is it a week day/night and some people may struggle due to work and commitments at home. However, it would be great if we could get a good turnout to make light work of what is a genuinely nice evening.

Please find a description of roles and the approximate timings at which things will kick off below. I would be grateful for any help people can give and would be especially grateful if anyone can get down for early afternoon to help with the course set up etc. The ideal of course would be that we had enough people helping out so that members who want to race, can do.
Approximate Timings:
Course setup: 2pm - 4pm
Sign On: 5:30pm - 7:00pm
Go-Ride: 6:00pm - 7:00pm
Main event: 7:15pm - 8:15pm
Presentation: 8:30pm

Job Descriptions
Go-Ride: Helpers required.
Course layout Designers: Building 2 x courses with tape attaching to sticks and trees.
Sign on: Front of house/gazebo
Marshals x 12+: The creme de la creme of jobs; this role comes with benefits (day glow jacket and walkie talkie) duties include keeping rabbits off the course and pointing directions.
Judging Team: Good eyesight and good hearing with calm manner under pressure. This role includes calling out random numbers as you see them or writing down the random numbers which are being called out. Produce a final list of random numbers. Similar skills required to that needed for Bingo.
Clean up team: Crack team of cleaners to swipe the course and remove any tracks or evidence of us ever being there.

Further info on the event can be found at the location below
https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/events/details/160978/Midweek-Madness-2017-Round-2

Jack Johnson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 10:45:45 PM »
Don't really understand what the different jobs are Charles but will be there to help as soon as possible after work probably half 6ish

Charles D

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2017, 11:12:13 AM »
Ok, So far I've got eight people who have confirmed that they can help. For this to run smoothly I need at least another five or six. If you can help, please follow the link to the google form in the first post so I know how much help to expect. If you'd like to bring a friend or loved one along to keep you company that'd be even better!

Needless to say, these types of event simply can't happen without lots of wonderful volunteers so if you have enjoyed a recent event, please do consider signing up. I will be very grateful to anyone who turns up and will make sure you are looked after with cake, drinks and radios to play with!

Cheers

Charles

AtkoMike

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2017, 12:15:12 PM »
I'll help. Count me in

Pete Thompson

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2017, 06:06:47 PM »
Hey Charles, I'll help out too.
Cheers, P

Ruth Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2017, 11:15:18 AM »
So sorry I can't make it :(
I'll see if I can persuade Andy and let you know.

Charles G

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2017, 07:35:13 PM »
As an added incentive I'll be bringing the remainder of our club kit along which I'll sell at a discount to all marshalls/helpers in Thursday. Details of remaining kit are on our Facebook page.

Charles D

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2017, 11:21:34 AM »
Hi,
Thanks to all those who have volunteered in the last few days.

in terms of logistics, the address for Chorlton water park is:
Chorlton Water Park, Car Park, Maitland Avenue, Manchester, M21 7WH

The race HQ is by the bridge over the Mersey, if you follow the path through the water park it should be obvious.

Please be there by 6:30 pm tomorrow so we can brief you, and get you in position ahead of the race which starts at 7:15 pm and will last bout an hour.

If anyone can get down earlier, that would be great. We are running a Go-ride event and Scott has had some of his helpers pull out.

Finally, please be prepared for rain. We've had great weather for the last few years now and lit looks like our luck may run out so bring your waterproofs and something warm!

Cheers

Charles

Chelsea McC-L

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2017, 06:14:53 PM »
Gavin and I running late due to being stuck at work. Should be there by 6.50 at latest though

Charles D

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2017, 12:15:50 PM »
Thanks very much to everyone who came down and helped last night. We had a lot of positive feedback from riders and the British Cycling team.

Jon G

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2017, 05:38:44 PM »
Was a great evening and great event. Well done to Charles for organising and all the rest of the helpers and Marshalls who made it possible. Cheers.

Ruth Taylor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2017, 06:58:06 PM »
Great work everyone :)